Sunday, June 12, 2011

Miguel Torres thinks over-aggression in third round at UFC 130 cost him a decision against Demetrious Johnson

By: Jamie Penick, MMATorch Editor-in-Chief

Logo_Octagon2_150_21.jpg
Last month's UFC 130 event brought about yet another judging controversy and opened a debate once more about scoring in MMA with the bantamweight bout between Demetrious Johnson and Miguel Torres. Johnson won the fight with scores of 29-28 from judges Dave Hagen, Glenn Trowbridge and Tony Weeks, yet most sites scoring the fight (MMATorch included), and many fans watching and commenting on the fight, felt Torres won the fight.

Despite being put on his back by Johnson's takedowns in the fight, Torres employed an immensely active guard, nearly locking in numerous submissions, pulling off sweeps and constantly keeping Johnson on the defensive. But the judges gave Johnson both the second and third round of the fight, and thus the victory, and Torres still believes he won the fight.

"Demetrious did a good job. He was real tough,? Torres said in an interview with Sherdog.com this week. ?I just thought I was on offense the whole fight. I had him defending. I thought I landed 100 percent of the strikes. ... I don't take anything away from him. I just thought I did enough to secure a victory, but the judges didn't see it that way and it is what it is."

Torres points to the end of the third round as a possible turning point for him on the scorecards, and he's kicking himself for a moment of over-aggression he feels may have cost him the round and the fight.

"I was [riding out the round in the mount]," Torres said, "and I started hearing people, 'He?s just dry humping him, stand them up! He's not doing anything!' When you've got a really short guy like that and you try to throw elbows and try to hit him, he's going to scramble to get out. I started hearing these things, and I was like, 'Man, I don't want to win another fight just by laying in the mount.' ... I went for attacks. I went for it and I paid the price."

"My trainer, Firas, wanted me to hold position more and not attack submissions so much because going into it, we knew he was a good scrambler and he's really short, has short limbs and a short, stocky neck. I wanted to attack. I wanted to put on a show for the fans. I didn't want to lay on the guy and not do anything. Maybe in hindsight I should have done that."

Johnson picked his spot and pulled off a sweep of his own when Torres attempted to attack there, and it may have been the deciding moment in a close round for the judges. Torres now may rethink what he does in that position the next time out, and he says he knows it's what he's got to do to win.

"It was frustrating, but like I said, I know what to do for my next fight," Torres said. "People might not like it. It might be a little boring, but the biggest thing is to secure a win however I can. If that means laying on somebody or just holding them down, it's going to have to be that way."

Link to Original Source Article

Penick's Analysis: This is a major problem with the judging in this sport, because the lack of knowledge or recognition for work the likes of which Torres was doing in this fight is going to stifle creativity in fighters on the ground and encourage them to simply hold position. It makes for a more boring aspect of the game, and it's something we saw again with the Anthony Pettis-Clay Guida fight last weekend. Guida knew by being on top he was likely winning the rounds, so all he needed to do was make sure to defend submissions and keep position. It's not a good development for the advancement of the skills in this sport, and it's a shame that the continuing ineptitude in judging breeds this type of environment for fighters right now.

Source: http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/UFC_2/article_9567.shtml

Kendall Grove Clay Guida Jason Guida Melvin Guillard Cody Guinn

No comments:

Post a Comment